You may claim a refund for the following reasons:
- A damaged ticket that can be verified by the ticket reader;
- Malfunction of ticket vendor, ticket gate or Addfare machine;
- Blue tickets with more than $2.00 remaining value; and
- Unused paratransit ticket books.
The following are not refundable:
- Red and Green discount tickets are not refundable (but you can get a replacement ticket for tickets with accumulated value - see below);
- Tickets purchased with Commuter Checks are not refundable; and
- The last ride is not refundable.
BART's Treasury Department issues replacement tickets in exchange for tickets with small residual values. When you have $10.00 worth of Blue tickets or $24.00 worth of Red or Green discount tickets, mail them to BART Treasury for a replacement ticket.
See the Station Agent who will help you process a ticket refund request, or mail your ticket along with the reason for the refund request to:
Refunds, BART Treasury Department
P.O. Box 12688
Oakland, CA 94604-2688
BART's Treasury Department will process your refund or issue you a replacement ticket. If you have a question, please call (510) 464-6841.
Note: Effective May 18, 2012, Bank of America has agreed to waive the $5.00 fee they normally charge to non-Bank of America customers who cash their BART Refund checks at any of their branch locations.
Tickets with minimal values can be consolidated into a larger single ticket. Please note the following restrictions:
- Additional cash may be required;
- Berkeley and 12th Street will consolidate tickets to the nearest dollar i.e. $2, $3, $4 etc. All other locations will consolidate to the nearest five dollar i.e. $5, $10, $20;
- Maximum of 30 tickets per transaction;
- Tickets submitted for exchange must have been purchased by cash or debit card;
- Tickets purchased with a credit card must be processed for a refund by a Station Agent; and
- No cash refunds.
For more information call BART Customer Services at (510) 464-7134.
To exchange BART tickets visit one of the following ticket exchange locations:
BART Treasury @ 12th Street/Oakland City Center
Tuesday and Thursday 10:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and 2:45 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
MyTransitPlus @ Bay Fair Station
(Monday, Tue, Thu, Friday, 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. to 7 p.m.)
(Wed, 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. to 7 p.m.)
MyTransitPlus @ Civic Center Station
Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
MyTransitPlus @ Embarcadero Station
Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m to 7:00 p.m.
MyTransitPlus @ Montgomery Station
Monday through Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
MyTransitPlus @ Powell Street Station
Monday through Friday 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
MyTransitPlus @ Walnut Creek Station
Monday through Friday 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Ticket Donations ("Tiny Tickets"):
In concert with the East Bay Community Foundation, you can donate the unused portion of your BART ticket to local nonprofit organizations through the "Tiny Tickets" program.
For more information about donating tickets or how your community organizations can participate, please visit the East Bay Community Foundation.