Join thousands of Bay Area commuters as they get some fresh air and exercise, avoid high gas prices and coast past traffic gridlock while biking to work or to BART on "Bike to Work Day" Thursday, May 18.
Register for Bike to Work Day at 511.org and you'll be entered to win a free bike and other prizes! Registration is free, quick and easy.
More than 150 Energizer Stations will provide free refreshments, giveaways, bicycling information, and good cheer during morning commute hours and some will re-open during the evening commute on Bike to Work Day.
The following BART stations are scheduled as Energizer Stations: North Berkeley, Downtown Berkeley, Fremont, Hayward, MacArthur, Dublin/Pleasanton, Concord, El Cerrito Plaza, Pleasant Hill, Walnut Creek, Embarcadero and Millbrae.
Visit 511.org for Energizer Station locations and hours of operation.
BART bike rules
For a complete description of rules regarding bikes on BART, pick up a "BART Basics Guide" or visit the "Bicycle Access" section of bart.gov. The following is a brief overview of some of BART's bike rules.
- Bikes are allowed on all trains except those trains shown in highlighted areas of the "BART Fares and Schedules" brochure.
- Bikes are never allowed on crowded cars.
- Bikes are allowed in any car but the first car of a train.
- Bicyclists must use elevators or stairs, not escalators, and always walk bikes.
- In case of an evacuation, leave your bike on the train and do not let it block aisles or doors.
- Bicyclists under 14 years old must be accompanied by an adult.
- Bikes must be parked in racks and lockers. Bikes parked against poles, fences or railings will be removed. Call 510/464-7133 for locker availability.
Park your bicycle at a BART Bike Station
Take advantage of free, secure bike parking at three BART stations
Berkeley Bike Station
Located on the south end of the concourse level, attendants will store your bike in a secure area while you work, play or shop on BART. The Berkeley Bike Station is open weekdays 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. (closed weekends and holidays). For more information, call 510/548-7433.
Embarcadero Bike Station
Located on the concourse level of the Embarcadero BART station near the Davis Street entrance, the station is attended weekdays from 7:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. Parking and pick-up of bikes during staffed hours is free. For additional information, call 415/834-1049 or visit www.bikestation.org.
Fruitvale Bike Station
The Fruitvale Bike Station is in Fruitvale Village, adjacent to the Fruitvale BART station and offers free, secure bike parking and a full-service bike repair shop. Free attendant parking is available from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. The Fruitvale bike station features more than 230 spaces. For more information call 510/536-2220.